The Ivy Lee Method for managing one’s time works. It has been more effective than waking up earlier in an effort to make more time (which left me burnt out by 9am). It works so well because it forces you to make difficult decisions before facing them, it gives you a vision, it makes you focus on a single task and it’s ridiculously simple:
THE IVY LEE METHOD
- At the end of each workday, write down the six most important things you need to accomplish tomorrow. Do not write down more than six tasks.
- Prioritize those six items in order of their true importance.
- When you arrive tomorrow, concentrate only on the first task. Work until the first task is finished before moving on to the second task.
- Approach the rest of your list in the same fashion. At the end of the day, move any unfinished items to a new list of six tasks for the following day.
- Repeat this process every working day.